Monday, March 23, 2009

Learn to be a nursing leader, meet exceptional peers and nursing professionals, and PARTY!!

When I was in my undergraduate nursing program, I was fortunate enough to have a local chapter of the National Student Nurses Association (NSNA) that was active and FUN! At the University of Florida (UF), we had monthly meetings, created community service and nursing image projects, educated our fellow students on current issues within the nursing profession and (my favorite) attended both our state and national conferences. I also was an elected leader within my local (University of Florida Student Nurses Association, UFNSA) and state chapter (Florida Student Nurses Association, FNSA).

Imagine traveling to Nashville with your closest nursing friends...we heard amazing speakers, meet student nurses from all over the country, learned about countless areas of nursing through focus sessions, reviewed for our NCLEX (RN nursing licensure exam) and partied all night!! We all had too much fun...but as a young nursing leader I was presented with a challenge as well.

As I arrived in Nashville and met up with my fellow students from UFNSA and FNSA, I was asked by my professor to consider running for national office for NSNA. I had no idea what that meant or how to do it but...why not consider and see where it takes me. So over the next few hours, I learned about what positions and opportunities there were as a nationally elected official for NSNA. It all sounded like a lot of fun and a great way to further my leadership experience in nursing.

Long story short...I ran a successful campaign with the help of my closest friends and colleagues from UFNSA and FNSA. I made my first speach in front of thousands of nursing students, professors, nursing professionals and nursing leaders. It was so scary but it was also exciting. I was elected the national chair for the Nominations and Elections Committee.

Over the next year, I learned so much about myself as a nurse, a leader and a committee member. I got to work along side other student nursing leaders and made close friends that I still keep up with today. I traveled a lot, participated in conference calls, created articles for publishing, supported and worked hard with my fellow committee members and help create the slate of candidates for the next batch of nursing leaders to take our place at NSNA. It was one of the best experiences I have ever had as a nurse and I truly miss my days at FNSA and NSNA conferences!!

If you are a nursing student or a prospective nursing student, please check out the NSNA website!!

www.nsna.org

They also have a great section for nursing jobs within the website!!!

http://www.nsna.org/career/ultimate_adventure.asp

No comments:

Post a Comment