Sunday, March 8, 2009

How long does it really takes to see patients as an APRN?

I was hired almost a year ago now for my job as an APRN. I have been waiting and going through the motions of filing out the paperwork. After graduating from my master's program, I had to apply and take my boards to become nationally certified. Then, had to apply for my state license as an APRN. Then, had to apply for my DEA and CSR numbers so I could prescribe controlled substances for my patients. To my surprise (and my future employer's) this process has taken more than 11 months so far. Now I have to wait on private insurance companies to panel me, so I can begin to seeing their patients. Of course, this process may take another six months!

The scary part is...since my hire date, I have had a waiting list. There is a year's worth of patients for me to see. I will be seeing patients that are referred from a pediatric primary care company for mental health concerns. There is such a shortage of providers that I have a year waiting list and I can't even work! Luckily, we have had a few people filling in trying to see these children and families. Meanwhile, I am sitting at my night nurse job bored out of my mind, trying to keep my skills up so I can start whenever I am finally allowed.

My classmates have been working for the past 11 months. So why am I not? Well, they all work for mental health community centers or other clinics that only take governmental insurance. On the other hand, I will be taking primarily private insurance clients. They are allowed to work under the provision of their institution before receiving credentialing, license or DEA/CSR numbers.

This has lead to a real problem in the mental health care community. Most children that have private insurance coverage are unable to see a psychiatrist/psychiatric nurse practitioner because there is that YEAR LONG waiting list to be seen. I end up seeing these children anyways as a hospital-based RN. These children that have been sitting on waiting lists for months trying to get medication to help them manage mental health symptoms end up in the emergancy room and subsequently, inpatient psychiatric hospitals. There is something so wrong with a system that results in emergancy room and acute care treatment for something manageable with medication and psychotherapy...if only they had been treated months earlier. We are relying on a broken system that hurts and stigmatizes children and families.

No comments:

Post a Comment